This is the first in a series of monthly blog posts focusing on ‘all things Facebook’. We’ll be looking at the growth in usage among the top countries, as well as growth in total usage globally. As the months go by we’ll be able to build a picture of where Facebook is growing and how quickly.
Also, we’ll look at the most popular and fastest growing pages and apps to keep you up to date with the latest trends.
We’ve got a few choice bits of Facebook news and a monthly case study with best practice tips on how to be innovative with Facebook, and how to effectively support your PR efforts.
Trends from January’s Facebook Report:
- Huge growth in usage in Brazil. The exact reasons for the exponential growth is unclear, but we do know that finally Facebook has overtaken Orkut as Brazil’s most popular Social Network. (see slide 4)
- The USA, Canada and the UK remain at the top of the list for population penetration, but all three fall marginally short of the magical 50% marker.
- Global usage of Facebook is up 1.78% to 812,139,740 this month.
- Hidden Chronicles is the fastest growing app of the month, with 19,700,000 users. However, there has been strong growth among a number of Static HTML and iFrame apps, suggesting that customisation and personalisation are trends to look out for in the coming year.
- In Page news, Harry Potter reached number ten on the most popular pages list, displacing Justin Bieber, who drops out of the top ten for the first time in six months.