It’s hard to put into words how my experience at SXSW was. I guess truly amazing would be a great start. I left the well-known tech conference feeling inspired, energized and grateful.
I feel fortunate that Ketchum made the investment for me to attend. It adds credibility to what I do, and has given me more insight and smarts on what my colleagues do every day for our brands and agency. That’s why “I LOVE Working at Ketchum.”
After gathering my thoughts about my experience, here are some tips for planning your big trip to SXSW in 2015:
• Networking needs to be organic. Be open to having conversations with anyone, because you never know who you’re going to meet when you’re sitting at the airport, attending a session or eating at a delicious food truck.
• The weather changes daily. Think layers when you pack and bring comfortable shoes and a big bag to collect all the really cool swag you receive.
• Plan ahead for what sessions you want to attend, but have back-ups in case you don’t get in. Your back-up should also have a back-up. Othwerise you’ll find yourself wasting valuable time.
• Venture around Austin by walking around the hotels and convention center. There are pop-ups everywhere and lounges for you to chill and reenergize at.
• Charging your phone isn’t that hard. All the SXSW venues and Austin are fully prepared for your phone’s crucial need to re-juice. Some lounges even had lockers where you could leave your phone to charge, attend a session or two, and come back to pick it up fully charged and ready for you to send your next tweet, Instagram or Facebook post.
• Cabs are hard to come by, so have a plan with regards to transportation. I have a great, reliable contact if you need for SXSW 2015.
Lastly, prepare to have a once-in-a-lifetime experience, because I know I did. SXSW is a mecca for creativity, learning and networking. Austin is a cool town that’s full of energy, art, music, good food and soul. I’m ready for SXSW in 2015 and I hope you will be too!