Over the past week, many of the most-talked-about BHM social posts have highlighted Black representation in the arts*. While Black voices have been at the forefront of countless artistic movements throughout U.S. history, Black artists are still underrepresented among artistic institutions. Trending social posts are now pointedly shedding light on Black creators and the value of BIPOC representation in the arts.
- A local story about a mural commemorating women of the Black Panthers saw national attention online
- The MoMA saw strong engagement from art lovers on its post celebrating works from Kenyan artist Wangechi Mutu, also featured in the museum’s series “Among Others: Blackness at MoMA”
- The MLB continues to see strong engagements on social posts re-sharing artwork from Black artists commemorating iconic baseball players
- Ulta Beauty is dedicating an entire social media series to Black artists that “celebrate who they are” during BHM
Consider ways your brand can reassess how you approach creative development internally. Make an intentional effort to uncover opportunities to feature and praise Black artists and creators within your organization.
Other Trending Brands and Influencers with BHM Connections on Social Media (in the last 7 Days):
- Abercrombie & Fitch: The clothing brand continues to receive online kudos for their racial justice/charitable clothing line
- Disney: Star Wars Black History Month social post drew online criticism this week for having minimized Black characters in the past
- Google: Their partnership with The Links, Inc. and Dress for Success to provide digital skills training to Black women is being celebrated online
- Jessica Alba celebrated the third week of BHM by sharing some of her favorite Black-owned restaurants
- LeBron James invited his fans to check out a documentary about his high school and the role it played in the civil rights movement
- Activist Rachel Cargle’s instructional Black History Month series gained traction this week
*according to Spike Newswhip analysis of the last 7 days